Sangha Teens is a youth Buddhist group that focuses on teaching middle school aged members about the fundamentals of Buddhism. We meet every 1st and Sunday of the month. If interested in participating, please contact Jeannie Toshima for more information.
MEETING NORMS- The STs present discussed and agreed upon four norms to guide our group in in meetings as well as outings:
1) Have Fun- Of course, but always remember our manners and values. We represent Pasadena Buddhist Church and are always being watched by the community (especially the "elders" which is everyone older than 12 years old at this point!)
2) Everyone has a voice- Remember, what matters to someone else is just as important as what matters to you. Listen to everyone's opinions and be thoughtful of how you react if you disagree. For the most part, majority will rule in decision making, but if something is deemed necessary that all have a say, we could email for opinions. If it is something that needs to be decided in a timely manner, we will act based upon those present.
3) Resolve conflicts openly and honestly- Be sensitive to others feelings. If you have an issue, bring it out in the open, don't let it stew and get worse. You can always ask for help from an adult about sensitive issues, but try to have an open and honest line of communication between each other.
4) Include everyone- Treat others like you would like to be treated. No one likes to be left out or excluded. Even if it is another temple ST, include them with us if they seem to be left out somewhere.
THEMES- We have three:
1) Sangha (Religion)- The reason we are a group to begin with. We will attend services and Special Services as often as we can. We will meet together as a whole Dharma Group immediately after service and also meet with Reverend Unno for our religious guidance, hopefully at the second Sunday of the month.
2) Service- We will do what we can to provide service to the temple during fundraisers, Obon, mochitsuki, etc. We will be included in Dharma School's months of chairing service. We will also pursue outside sources of service (see Service Project ideas below)
3) Social- This is probably the most important aspect of our preteens' existence right now. I have already been in contact with the Senshin Sangha Teens advisor. Since we are a small, busy group, we will coordinate activities with Senshin and Nishi Sanghas.
Sangha Teen Calendar
April 27.........SD Sangha Teen Gathering at Nishi Hongwanji. "Finding Buddha" is the theme.
Pasadena will help the Nishi Sangha Teens with this event and have been attending planning meetings.
May 18..........OCBC Sangha Teen event